The Ada County Sheriff's Office
Information Technology, Recreation and Event Services and Public Information
Recommends that you:
Top 10 Tips for Parents
- Never, never provide your children with technology that you cannot operate or know how to use proficiently.
- Open an honest line of communication with your child about the dangers of the Internet and specifically your expectations and consequences for violating those standards; always follow through.
- Always keep computers in the most public, well-traveled areas of your home so they are highly visible to everyone.
- Use the parental controls on your operating system to enhance your system's security & limit a child's ability to make changes to your system.
- Put limits on the times your child can use your computers.
- All of your child’s Internet accounts should be in your name and you should have all logins and passwords recorded and saved.
- Know what services you Internet service provider has available to you such as filtering, monitoring and protective software.
- Contact the police immediately if you suspect that your child has had any inappropriate or concerning online contact.
- Seek out, acquire and use protective and monitoring software and keep it current and updated.
Top 10 Tips for Kids
- Always use a "screen name". Never disclose your real name, school, phone number or where you live.
- Always tell mom/dad if they receive any scary communication that is frightening or upsetting.
- Never exchange photographs over the Internet (or through the mail).
- Never agree to meet anyone in person that you met in a chat room.
- Never give out your password to anyone.
- Never agree to enter private chat rooms.
- Never accept everything a person says online at face value.
- Never accept an "Instant Message" from someone you don't know.
- Never tell anyone your real age.
- ALWAYS ask permission from Mom or Dad before using the computer.
State of Idaho Attorney General ProtecTeens - Great resource including parental control software links
A Parent's Guide to Internet Safety - FBI.gov
Parent Teen Chat Decoder - Teen chat and acronyms decoder - 'teen speak' translation made easy