Monday – Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Written knowledge testing is offered Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
Have your driver’s license delivered in the mail!
This is a service offered by the Idaho Department of Transportation to randomly-chosen licensed drivers between the ages of 21 and 69. The notice is mailed 60 days before the license expires and is sent to the address printed on the driver’s current license. This service is only available for those who do not need to change any of the information currently on file.
Where can I get a driver's license or permit?
400 N. Benjamin Ln
Boise, ID 83704
What do I need to bring?
- Proof of Idaho residency: A piece of mail such as a utility bill, bank statement or official document displaying the applicant's name and home address. It must be an original document - we cannot accept photocopies or online printouts.
- Proof of age and identity: Idaho license, out-of-state license or a state-certified birth certificate along with one photo from a military ID, passport or yearbook. Foreign nationals must bring proof of legal presence: passport, I94/Visa, Green Card, Employment Authorization Card, Citizen/ National Certificates
- Method of payment: cash, personal check (no out-of-state checks accepted), Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express
After successfully completing the application process, you will be issued a temporary driver's license. Your official license will be mailed to your home address 1 - 2 weeks later.
- Social security number
- Certified birth certificate (original document)
- Verification of school enrollment letter
- Acceptable photo identification: school-issued activity card, yearbook, passport or military ID
- A parent or legal guardian must accompany the applicant
For more details, click here to view the Idaho Department of Transportation Driver's License Fact Sheet.
Click here to view the Idaho Department of Transportation list of fees.
Where to pay traffic tickets:
Ada County Courthouse
200 W. Front St.
Boise, ID 83702
Where to pay driver's license suspensions:
Idaho Transportation Department
3311 State St.
Boise, ID 83707
Save yourself some time!
Visit us during less busy times and you’ll have a shorter wait.
Here are the average wait times for all licensing transactions at the Benjamin Lane location.
Our least busy time is usually in the morning, with the shortest wait times on Wednesdays or Thursdays.