And many more!
Deputies are able to compete for the rank of sergeant when they reach Level IV status (usually after four years of service) and have their Idaho Intermediate POST certification. The selection process typically includes written examinations, and professional assessment, and an oral board interview.
Sergeants are able to compete for the rank of lieutenant after being a sergeant for two years and have their Idaho Advanced POST certification.The selection process includes a peer evaluation, planning exercise, and presentations.
Lateral Transfer Wage Information
While the selection process is the same for non-certified applicants, those transferring from other agencies may receive a higher wage upon employment.
- Level II = Currently POST certified with two years full-time experience as a certified Peace Officer.
- Level III = Current Idaho Advanced POST certificate or equivalent OR five years of full-time field experience as a certified Peace Officer.
Click here to view our pay plan
Challenging the Basic Patrol Academy (Out-Of-State Candidates)
Any peace officer gaining employment with the Ada County Sheriff's Office who, within the last five years, has been employed and certified or commissioned by another state or the federal government as a peace officer or student who has satisfactorily completed a Basic Police Academy equivalent of the Idaho POST Basic Patrol Academy within the last three years will be eligible for certification in the state of Idaho without attending the Basic Patrol Academy, provided the officer:
- Submits a POST Certification Patrol Challenge Packet to POST Council, which must include copies of POST training records from other states.
- Attends an approved course of study in Idaho law and passes the POST law exam.
- Passes the POST certification exam, firearms qualification course, and the physical fitness test.
- Completes a six month probationary period with the Ada County Sheriff's Office.
For Questions on the Challenge process, please contact:
Idaho POST Academy
700 S Stratford Dr
Meridian, ID 83642